Could Your Little-one Use a BIG?
It all starts with the right role models. And Big Brothers Big Sisters is the place to start a relationship with one. Since1969,, with funding from United Way and private donors, we’ve been able to recruit, screen, match and support mentoring relationships that have changed the lives of thousands of young people in our community — one Little at a time.
You Will Feel the Same Impact as Much as Your Child
A study for Big Brothers Big Sisters found that kids matched with a Big Brother or Big Sister:
- are more confident
- are more likely to steer clear of drugs and alcohol
- do better in school
- get along better with their family and friends
- feel better about themselves
You know what’s best for your child. So we’ll need your help from the start, providing information about your child’s strengths and needs, and ultimately approving the Big Brother or Big Sister match. But your role doesn’t end there.
BBBSNGM partners with you in helping your child reach his or her full potential. Research shows that children need three or more adults (outside of their parents) to help them build character and make good choices. A Big can be one of those adults - another caring person in your child's life who offers nurturing friendship and support.
When it comes to the future of our children and the well-being of our communities, we’re all in this together. So it should come as no surprise that we need the parents and guardians of Littles to be involved every step of the way, starting with the initial match. Not only will you provide information about your child’s strengths and needs, but you’ll also approve the selection of the Big Brother or Big Sister.
Once the match is made, you remain closely involved in many ways, including:
- approving activities and outings for your child and their Big
- asking your child questions about those outings, and sharing what you learn with the agency staff
- reporting your child’s progress and milestones to the agency on a regular basis (we will contact you, but we welcome your feedback any time)
- participating in training on child safety offered by Big Brothers Big Sisters staff, and communicating with your child about the training he or she receives.
Safety From the Start
Your child’s safety is extremely important to us. Big Brothers Big Sisters conducts a thorough background check on every volunteer in our program, and every relationship is closely monitored and supported by a professionally trained match coordinator.